Extrapontine myelinolysis (EPM) and cortical laminar necrosis (CLN) have rarely been reported in association with severe hypernatremia. We describe a patient with EPM associated with CLN following severe hypernatremia due to hypertonic peritoneal lavage after a ruptured hydatid cyst of the liver. Clinical and neuroimaging findings in acute stage and serial brain MRI at two and five month follow-up are discussed in detail.
- Cortical laminar necrosis
- Extrapontine myelinolysis
- Magnetic resonance imaging
- Osmotic demyelination syndrome
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging
- Clinical Neurology