Multiorgan failure and death from a mixed Dettol and Clorox poisoning: a case report

David Olukolade Alao, Kinza Moin, Snaha Abraham

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


Background: Dettol and sodium hypochlorite have wide use as household disinfectants and cleaners. Intentional and nonintentional ingestion are widespread, mainly causing mild symptoms that require no specific treatment. However, severe complications can occur when large volumes are ingested. Both products affect the same organ systems in the body, which can result in fatalities when ingested together. Case presentation: We present the case of a 26-year-old Asian man who died from multiorgan failure after deliberately ingesting a presumed large volume of Dettol and sodium hypochlorite. The case illustrates the severe complications that can occur with mixed ingestion of these commonly used household products. Conclusion: Clinicians must be aware of the increased risk of death caused by the combined ingestion of chloroxylenol and sodium hypochlorite.

Original languageEnglish
Article number95
JournalJournal of Medical Case Reports
Issue number1
Publication statusPublished - Dec 2023


  • Death
  • Dettol
  • Multi-organ failure
  • Poisoning
  • Sodium hypochlorite

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • General Medicine


Dive into the research topics of 'Multiorgan failure and death from a mixed Dettol and Clorox poisoning: a case report'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this