Perinatal mortality in Wad Medani Hospital

Omer Mirghani, Mohi E.M.A. Magzoub

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

1 Citation (Scopus)


Abstract Objective: To identify the major causes of perinatal mortality and to determine the main maternal factors which affect perinatal mortality. Design: A prospective study of all perinatal deaths (303) that occurred during two years, October 1988 - October 1990. Deaths were analyzed according to Wigglesworth classification. Setting: Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wad Medani Hospital, Sudan. Results: The most important cause of death was asphyxial conditions during labor (60.1%). Almost half of the perinatal deaths (53.5%) weighed 2500 g or more and the rest (46.5%) weighed less than 2500 g. One hundred and one perinatal deaths were born alive and 70% of them died during the first day of life. Forty-six point two per cent of all mothers of perinatal deaths had abnormal deliveries. Fifty-three point eight percent of all mothers of perinatal deaths were free of maternal diseases during pregnancy, and asphyxia during labor was the main cause of death among perinatal deaths. Conclusions: All the results of this study highlight the importance of asphyxia during labor as a major cause of perinatal deaths and hence it is concluded that improvement of obstetric care will help reduce the perinatal mortality in Wad Medani Hospital.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)633-639
Number of pages7
JournalSaudi Medical Journal
Issue number5
Publication statusPublished - 1996
Externally publishedYes


  • Asphyxia
  • Perinatal mortality

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • General Medicine


Dive into the research topics of 'Perinatal mortality in Wad Medani Hospital'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this