The distribution of 129I was utilized for labeling water masses in three sections of the western Nordic Seas. An increase of the tracer in Polar Waters of the East Greenland Current was observed between the Fram Strait and 72°N section and attributed to either unaccounted Polar Waters and/or recirculation of cold and fresh Atlantic Waters from the West Spitzbergen Current. Recent convection homogenized 129I in upper 1000 m of the Greenland Sea, and similar concentrations were observed in dense waters of the Denmark Strait. The densest outflow waters were not found in either the Greenland Sea or the East Greenland Current at 72°N.
- 4207 Oceanography: General: Arctic and Antarctic oceanography
- 4512 Oceanography: Physical: Currents
- 4532 Oceanography: Physical: General circulation
- 4860 Oceanography: Biological and Chemical: Radioactivity and radioisotopes
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Earth and Planetary Sciences(all)